Security is one of the major milestone while doing Website Development. Drupal itself is very secure. We need to consider this in advance when we planned to develop a website, It may be your website is not at risk, but a simple loose point may put you on risk, and once this is hacked, you will have to face major issues and it will cost you allot, so it's better to secure your website prior to production. I have faced this issue with my website and I did solution on that so I wanted to share my experience with this blog.
Following are the points which you need to keep doing.
- Keep your Drupal Installation Updated: Drupal always providing you notification about new release or security updates so don't ignore that even your website have no issue, please update it first. Update Manager will provide you all the details about current version and what kind of update is released. So this functionality should always be enabled.
- HTTPS: This is one of the major things which is not only with Drupal based websites but website build using any technology need to consider, But on every website this can't be used. So this needed to be configured on ecommerce, government or any other website which contain important information.
- Secure Custom Coding: Anyone can write insecure code, but we need to learn how to write secure code and review our existing website code for any issue. Here you can use Coder Module which will help you to find SQL injection problems.
- Secure Password of Userd ID 1: When you do installation of Drupal you are granted with user 1 which is super admin and this user have ability to do anything on Drupal website, so this user password should be very secure and should be changed time to time, also don't reuse the password.
- Server Security: Other than Drupal security you need to be aware about your server, You need to check that your server is secure or not. You should apply all possible security update on you server.
For more information on enhancing security using contributed modules in Drupal you can follow this link https://www.drupal.org/node/382752